Thank you for your interest in our project!
Would you like more information about the project, or do you have any comments about this website? If so, please contact us using the following email address.
Familiennamenatlas Deutschschweiz (FDS)
Institut für Germanistik, Universität Bern
CH-3012 Bern (Switzerland)
We do not do genealogy and family research; our research mainly deals with the linguistic aspects of names.
For family or genealogical research, we recommend contacting genealogists and using genealogy platforms.
Due to time constraints, we are unfortunately unable to provide information regarding the meaning of individual names. The following resources may have the information you are looking for:
• Digitales Familiennamenwörterbuch Deutschlands
• Namenberatungsstelle Universität Leipzig
• List of the 100 most common German Swiss surnames, along with new developments: https://personennamen.ch/
• Some surnames are explained, although not systematically, in the lemma entries of the four national dictionaries.Link
• Come visit us at the Nacht der Forschung event of the University of Bern on 10 September 2022.